It is still rather warm in the Charleston SC area and folks are still out in their boats. Here are some safety reminders and tips for safe boating:
· Know the federal, state, and local laws and regulations for South Carolina waters.
· Know the Rules of the Road.
· Know the water temperature. Might be valuable information in case of an emergency that finds you in the water. This will be even more important as cooler weather arrives.
· Plan your excursion in advance and let someone know where you are going.
· Even the smallest boat needs a fire extinguisher. Boats can catch on fire!
· Have distress signals like flags or flares.
· Have a fully charged cell phone.
· Store in your cell phone the name of a boat towing service and the Charleston Coast Guard Emergency phone 1-843-740-7050.
Henry Lowndes Jr.