Warm weather is coming to the Charleston SC area and folks will soon be out in their boats. Here are some safety reminders and tips for safe boating:
· Know the federal, state, and local laws and regulations for South Carolina waters.
· Know the Rules of the Road. You should take a Coast Guard boating safety course.
· Know the water temperature. Might be valuable information in case of an emergency that finds you in the water. Hypothermia can occur anytime the water temperature is less than your body temperature.
· Plan your excursion and let someone know where you are going.
· Even the smallest boat needs a fire extinguisher. Boats can catch on fire!
· Have distress signals like flags or flares.
· Have a fully charged cell phone.
· Store in your cell phone the name of a boat towing service and the Coast Guard Emergency phone 1-843-740-7050. The Miami Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Center (RCC) number is 1-305-415-6800.
· Know you can report an emergency to the Coast Guard via radio on Channel 16 VHF-FM.