Water damage insurance claims are very prevalent. Not only do they cost the insurance industry millions of dollars each year, they are also a headache for the homeowners. Here is where such claims come from.
- Toilet issues ($2,000 to $10,000 per incident). Never leave before the toilet stops running!
- ¾ of water heaters fail before they are 12 years old. Even if your heater looks fine, replace it if it is over 10 years old. When you get a new one, write the date purchased on the outside in permanent marker. Consider a tankless hot water heater.
- Washing machine hose breaks cause half of all water damage claims, averaging $6,000 each. Replace rubber hoses with stainless steel hoses.
- 10% of claims involved new refrigerators and improper installation of the ice maker hose.
- Homes over 30 years old are 3 times as likely to have a plumbing problem. Use a shut off valve to turn off the water to your house when you are away overnight.
- Roof leaks are the most frequent source of leaks. If your roof looks bad, it probably is!!
Preventative maintenance can eliminate many water damage claims!