· Check blind spots- Motorcycles are small and can often be difficult to spot. Make sure to fully check you blind spot before merging, as motorcycles can be hidden by even the smallest of gaps in visibility.
· Increase distance between vehicles- Keep a safe distance to all a motorcyclist ample opportunity to safely maneuver. Keep a close eye on turn signals, as not all motorcycles are equipped with self-cancelling turn signals. Make sure that the motorcycle is turning before attempting to pass.
· Minor problems for a car can be major problems for a motorcycle- remember that minor problems for a car like potholes, gravel, grooved pavement, and train tracks can prove to be major hazards for a motorcycle. Always watch for sudden changes in speed or direction.
· Always look twice before turning- Oncoming motorcycles are often difficult to spot, especially for cars moving in a hurry. Make sure to give more than just a quick glance before turning onto a road. This short glance may not be enough to notice a small vehicle such as a motorcycle. Always look twice before turning to be sure that there is no oncoming traffic.
· Pass carefully- When passing a motorcycle, the gust of wind from your car could be enough to effect the stability of the motorcycle. Always make sure to use your turn signal well before merging to allow the motorcyclist time to anticipate this shift in traffic. Also, make sure to give the motorcycle plenty of space to maneuver before shifting back into the original lane.
· Pay attention to the weather- adverse weather conditions have even more of an effect on motorcycles than they do on the average car. Windy or slick conditions can make a motorcycle difficult to control. Poor visibility not only makes it difficult for the motorcyclist to see, but it makes it difficult for other drivers to see a small vehicle like a motorcycle.
· Remember that motorcycles drive differently- in certain conditions, motorcycles are able to stop much faster than cars. When it is necessary for the motorcyclist to stop suddenly, there is a high possibility of being rear-ended by a car that is unable to stop as quickly. Make sure to follow with enough space to account for this.
Contact us today for a quote on your motorcycle or automobile insurance!