The last blog talked about premium credits that may be available on your personal auto policy. Here are some credits that apply to homeowners policies. Again, keep in mind that not all companies offer every one of these discounts.
Have your auto and home insurance with the same agent, have your home and auto coverage with the same insurance company.
- A home with a hip roof can be eligible for a discount.
- The newer the roof, the more companies that will offer a quote.
- Wind mitigation credits* are given for having devices that prevent wind damage to your home. Storm shutters, extra hurricane clips, wind resistant glass windows, etc.
*The better rating programs automatically give the wind mitigation credits for newer homes when the year of construction is entered.
- Central Station Alarm.
- Level of education, from high school graduate, to military training, to PHD.
- Owners over 55 and retired.
- Higher deductibles.
- Eliminate Other Structures coverage if there are no detached structures on your property.
- Reduce personal property (contents) coverage to a limit lower than what the company usually provides.
- Paid if Full discount. Pay the annual premium in full at time the policy is issued.
- Paperless discount – allowing the carrier to e-mail documents as opposed to mailing
- EFT discount – discount for allowing the company to automatically draw premiums from the bank of the same day of each month.
An independent agent can select the insurance company that is best for you. C. T. Lowndes & Company, for example, has the ability to offer quotes with 10-15 different homeowners carriers.
As mentioned in the ‘auto policy credits” blog, do not simply focus on price.
Be sure you have the proper coverage and adequate limits.