The Greater Charleston Area, including Colleton, Dorchester, and Dorchester Counties, has experienced an unprecedented spell of very low freezing temperatures since 2018 began.
The thaw will begin on Monday and that will be the time when damaged water pipes will become apparent.
· If you detect a water leak from a broken pipe, take these steps to prevent further damage:
· If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe, try to find the closest shut-off valve and turn it off. The valve may be outside, behind the toilet, under the sink, or at the street.
· Move any wet items to a dry area.
· Move any items that may become wet.
· Place aluminum foil, coasters, or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet or flooring.
· Clean up as much water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels.
· Call your plumber.
· If the amount of water is substantial, immediately call a Disaster Restoration Company like ServiceMaster.
· Call your insurance company or agent to report the claim.