Drones are also called unmanned aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), unmanned aircraft systems (UASes) or flying robots.

You have purchased a $1,000 drone just to have fun with. While flying the drone one afternoon, it gets out of control and crashes into a tree and is a total loss. Will your homeowners insurance policy pay for the drone?

Aircraft are usually excluded by a homeowners policy but an exception is made for a “hobby aircraft not used to carry people or cargo”. Thus, the drone is just like your furniture or electronic equipment. The drone is part of the “contents” of your home.

The type of policy you have will determine if the policy will provide coverage for the crash. Most homeowners policy limit coverage on contents to sixteen (16) perils. This is called named peril coverage. Note, however, “crashing” is not one of the 16 named perils. Thus most homeowners policies will not provide coverage for the damaged drone.

Some more expensive homeowners policies insure contents on an all risk basis. Such policies would probably reimburse you for the damaged drone.

As always, read your policy! And recall a deductible will apply to each loss.

Posted 11:29 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011

View Mobile Version