Hurricane Matthew

Public Assistance is available for Berkeley, Charleston,  Dorchester, Colleton, Georgetown, and other counties in SC for damages from Hurricane Matthew.


If you have suffered loss or damage due to Hurricane Matthew and need  individual assistance for rent, home repairs, uninsured and underinsured property loss you can register for help:

  • Online at
  • By phone 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing should call 800-462-7585 (TTY)   You can call from 7:00 am to 11 pm, seven days a week.
  • Download the FEMA Mobile App


 To file a flood claim go to 



To file a claim with the Small Business Administration (SBA)

One-on-one assistance: https://


    Will FEMA help with repairs/replacement of my car? 

    Auto insurance and the Small Business Administration (SBA) are the two primary resources available to applicants who have damage to a vehicle as a result of a disaster.

    If you are not able to secure assistance through either of these organizations, FEMA may be able to assist with the cost of repairing and/or replacing your vehicle that is no longer usable because of disaster-related damage. Verification may be required to show:

    • the vehicle is registered in the applicant's name or in the applicant's dependent's name, and
    • the vehicle is insured and conforms to applicable State laws.

    An estimate may be required stating that the damage to the vehicle was a direct result of a Presidentially-declared disaster. Transportation repair and replacement award amounts are set by the state on a yearly basis and FEMA cannot exceed the amount of transportation assistance established by the state.