Secure Page

Flood Insurance and Hurricane Matthew

Many homes, particularly those on beaches, had flood waters come into the areas below the elevated floor of the dwelling. The waters rose, then fell, leaving behind a mess. Casualties of the flooding include the drywall in the enclosed space and any appliances in the enclosure. These include freezers, clothes dryers, clothes washer, hot water heaters, etc.

So what does the flood policy cover under the first floor of an elevated home?

Under the Coverage A Building Property section, certain items in a building enclosure below the lowest elevated floor of a POST Firm building in an A or V flood zone are covered. These include drywall in a basement, elevators, fuel tanks, hot waters heaters, stairways attached to the building and other such items as described on page 4 of 26 of the Dwelling Flood Policy.

Under the Coverage B Personal Property section, coverage is limited to certain items in a building enclosure below the lowest elevated floor of a POST Firm building in an A or V flood zone. These items are clothes washers and dryers, food freezers and the food in them, and portable or window air conditioning units. See page 5 of 26 of the Dwelling Flood Policy.

The policy deductible does apply, and there is a deductible for loss under the building section and a separate deductible for loss under the property section.

Be sure to review your policy and discuss with your insurance agent. You may have a claim against your flood policy.

Henry Lowndes Jr.
CEO, C.T. Lowndes & Company

Posted Thursday, October 13 2016 8:00 AM
Tags : Hurricane Matthew SC, What does Flood insuance cover, Flood coverage durning a hurricane, FEMA, Edisto Beach SC FLood coverage, V Zone Flood Coverage, Folly Beach SC Flood coverage.

Blog Comments

No Comments

Post a Comment





Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code


Click for More Blogs View More Blog Entries
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Secured By RapidSSL